Ativan Addiction Treatment & Rehab in Washington
Ativan, or lorazepam, is a drug used to treat acute episodes of anxiety or as an adjunctive medication to ease symptoms when other, long-term medications are used at the same time. In some cases, it is also used to treat seizure disorders, especially in children or people experiencing an emergent seizure.
Lorazepam belongs to a class of medications called benzodiazepines. Other benzodiazepines include:
- Halcion (triazolam)
- Klonopin (clonazepam)
- Librium (chlordiazepoxide)
- Valium (diazepam)
- Versed (midazolam)
- Xanax (alprazolam)
Benzodiazepines work by prolonging the activity of (gamma-Aminobutyric acid) GABA, a neurotransmitter that carries signals between neurons. In patients with anxiety, consuming benzodiazepines has a near-immediate calming effect that can often feel euphoric, especially when more are consumed than what was prescribed. In patients with seizure disorders, prolonging the effects of GABA slows down electrical signals in the brain and causes the random and chaotic impulses of an active seizure to stop.
Regular Ativan abuse can cause withdrawal symptoms and physical dependence to develop. Is Ativan addictive? It can be if it’s misused. Withdrawal from benzodiazepines can cause seizures, which are a medical emergency. A withdrawal attempt should always be conducted with the support of a trained medical professional in a safe environment. Generally, it is unsafe to attempt a “cold turkey” detox because the process must occur slowly with all benzodiazepines for safety reasons.
Ativan addiction treatment is generally supportive care with a taper dosing approach. This method means that the treating clinician (a physician, nurse practitioner, or PA) gradually prescribes lower and lower doses of Ativan (known as tapering) until it can be taken off completely. The tapering process is generally slow and can last from weeks to months, depending on how severe and how long the addiction was. Ativan is usually tapered by 25% every week or a few weeks, and the process usually lasts at least a few months. Additionally, a clinician monitors patients for any serious withdrawal symptoms, like seizures.
Inpatient and Outpatient Ativan Addiction Treatment
There are two treatments options for Ativan addiction available: inpatient or outpatient care. Outpatient treatment requires a high level of trust between the patient and the clinician. Many clinicians would not agree to this unless they have known the patient for a while and have a positive relationship with them.
Alternately, a clinician will likely require inpatient rehabilitation initially. This treatment method involves medical detox care with medical supervision, followed by the patient moving into an inpatient facility for a time to live in a supportive and supervised facility. After the initial stay in an inpatient facility, the patient may continue treatment with an outpatient psychiatrist or another provider. At this point in treatment, patients would leave home and work to undergo intensive, medically supervised treatment in the outpatient setting.
Inpatient and outpatient care both involve single or group therapy, usually several times per week. Group therapy may involve activities like yoga or painting to help the person establish healthy hobbies and alternatives to substance use.
Ativan Addiction Treatment Centers in Washington
There are important factors to consider when choosing an Ativan rehab center. It is essential to be aware of some of the differences between facilities and how to choose the best one for you or your loved one.
- Comfort: Choose a rehabilitation facility where the person seeking treatment will likely be most comfortable. Feeling comfortable boosts the success of treatment. This task might mean choosing a facility with one gender or a facility that has newer and more comfortable amenities. It might be a good idea to speak with the treatment staff beforehand to increase familiarity.
- Credentialing and reviews: Read reviews online and make sure the facility does what they claim they do. It is also important to check that the location and staff are properly licensed.
- Follow-up support: Does the facility have structural support in the community? They may be a large health-system with outpatient follow-up. It could also mean they have strong relationships with unaffiliated outpatient treatment centers and providers.
- Location: How close is the facility to family members? How close the facility to addiction triggers? These are important factors for consideration and it should be as close as possible to supportive family members while being far enough away from triggers to promote healing.
- Treatment Approach: What kind of treatment does the staff use? Do they stay up-to-date with the most recent evidence-based medicine? While some treatment models may work for some people, other people may require different treatment approaches. Rehabilitation is not a one-size-fits-all solution. The education and treatment approach of the medical staff is very important.
How Much Does Ativan Rehab Cost
The cost of Ativan rehab depends on a lot of factors and there is no easy answer. Inpatient rehab is more expensive than outpatient rehab. The cost of treatment is an element to take into consideration before beginning treatment. Rehab facilities range from being very basic to luxury, and the associated costs widely vary as well. The length of stay will also be an important factor. Because each patient’s addiction is unique to their situation, the length of treatment varies from patient to patient. In general, treatment is worth the cost of future well-being and health insurance often helps to pay for it.
Does Insurance Cover Rehab for Ativan Addiction
While some insurance plans cover rehab, others do not. This answer varies by the insurance carrier and coverage type. For specific questions about coverage, call your insurance carrier and they can help guide you through your coverage benefits.
If you would like to learn more about Ativan addiction treatment and the program options available, contact The Recovery Village Ridgefield. A representative can talk to you about specific programs and payment options that may be viable options for your needs or the needs of your loved one.